God Loves You. He desires to speak to you and through you, but how many times have you asked yourself the question; why can’t I hear God?” Well, I promise you that if you do that things written below, you will hear God and God will hear you;
1) Seek God and his truth wholeheartedly– “You will seek me and you will find me when you seek me with all of your heart”-Jeremiah 29:13
You must be hungry for the truth of God and you must do this whole heartedly. Pray and read your bible. Spend time with people who are actively pursuing God’s presence. When you put your full efforts into cultivating a heart for God and his truth, I guarantee you that he will show up.
Part of seeking truth includes searching for and rooting out lies and false facts from your heart. For example, many subconsciously believe the lie that God only speaks only through a well-known popular religious leader. Yes, there are times God may use them to speak to you and build you up, but understand that no one should be solely dependent upon another human being to access God. God has his family the body of believers to speak God’s messages to one another. Jesus is the only one you can and should depend on daily to gain direct access to God the Father.
2) Get your sin in check: “But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that He will not hear.” -Isaiah 59:2
Sin blocks God’s voice and manifestation in your life. If you want to really hear God and have God hear you, you must cry out to God for a new heart. You must turn you heart against willful sin. We will always struggle with this as long as we are alive in this body, but as long as you make an intentional effort in the direction against sin, He will work with you in the process. You will slowly grow out of sin each day and progress into clean living, which God loves. If you don’t know what sin is in your life, ask Him to show you. Believe me He will answer that prayer.
3) Get your pride in check: “If my people, which are called by my name shall humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then I will hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2nd Chronicles 7:14.
This verse also applies to getting your sin in check, but it first talks about having humble heart. I call this the “I can change my own diaper mentality.” Refer to my previous post- Let Jesus Change Your Diaper. The truth is you cannot cleanse yourself from your own sin. Jesus overcame it for us, if you are in Jesus, you have the power to say no to sin, but you must do your part too and fight!
4) Spend quiet time with God: “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your father who is unseen, then your father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you. “Mathew 6:6
There are so many distractions. Noise, entertainment, social media the list goes on. Set a regular quiet time with God. This can be hard at first because this is what happens, you sit down and close your eyes. You will quickly remember everything written on your To Do list. This is the enemy trying his hardest to distract you from prayer because it is powerful weapon. Begin to thank him for all the good things in your life. Then ask for forgiveness for your sins and express your heart to Him. God loves that! Seek him in secret and he will reward you with his presence!
5) Look out for the gentle wisher: “After the earthquake came a fire, but the lord was not in the fire, and after the fire there was a sound of a gentle whisper. “ -1st Kings 19:12
It’s easy to believe that God is in loud shouts of religious people or popular televangelists, but truthfully, God is found in the quietness and stillness of your heart. Train yourself to hear and wait on that sweet gentle whisper.